Aready have a smart TV or box?Check Product
Need a Saorview TV or Box?Find a Retailer
Need an aerial or dish?Find an Installer
Are you covered by our service?Check Coverage
Saorview.ie is a website which provides information regarding the Saorview DTT platform, which is established, operated and maintained by Raidió Teilifís Éireann (“RTÉ”, “us” or “we”). The Saorview.ie website (referred to us the “Saorview Site”) is a separate website to RTÉ’s other websites and while visiting the Saorview.ie website, we may collect and process certain of your personal data as a data controller in accordance with applicable data protection legislation. Any personal data that is collected when you visit the Saorview.ie website is held separately from all other personal data held and processed RTÉ data. We want our services to be safe and enjoyable environments. This Privacy Statement (the “Statement”) relates to our use of any personal data you provide to us through either the Saorview Site, the Saorview Mobile Application and or a Saorview Connect device (each a “Saorview Service” and where more than one the “Saorview Services”).
In order to provide you with the full range of Saorview Services, we are sometimes required to collect personal data about you. This Statement explains the following:
– What personal data RTÉ may collect about you in connection
with the Saorview Services;
– How RTÉ will use personal data we collect about you;
– When RTÉ may use your details to contact you;
– Whether RTÉ will disclose your details to anyone else;
– Your choices regarding the personal data you have provided to us; and
RTÉ is committed to safeguarding your personal data. Whenever you provide such information, we are legally obliged to use your information in line with applicable data protection laws, in particular including the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) and the Data Protection Acts 1998 to 2018 (the “Data Protection Laws”). For the purposes of the Data Protection Laws the data controller is RTÉ.
The Saorview Site may contain hyperlinks to websites owned and operated by third parties. These websites have their own privacy policies and we urge you to review them if you visit them. They will govern the use of personal data you submit whilst visiting these websites. RTÉ cannot accept any responsibility or liability for the privacy practices of such third party websites.
When you sign up to participate in or receive a service from Saorview or register with the online registration system used on the Saorview Site, Saorview Mobile Application or Saorview Connect device, we will ask for and use certain personal data about you. This can consist of information such as your name, email address, county you live in, if you consent to receive email communications from Saorview, and whether you are an existing Saorview customer. If you are an existing Saorview customer we will ask you to select and identify your main Saorview device. By entering your details in the fields requested, you enable RTÉ and its Partners (see ‘Will RTÉ share my personal data with anyone else?’ below) to provide you with such of the Saorview Services you select in an optimum manner.
To help RTÉ improve Saorview Connect, your Saorview Connect device can let us know a few things about how it is being used. This usage data includes information about how you navigate around the screen and use the features of Saorview Connect (this information is provided from key presses on the remote control and from pressing the buttons on the actual device). If you agree to provide usage data to us, this data is sent to a dedicated server hosted in Ireland and the data can only be accessed by the Saorview team.
The data is sent to the server together with the Device ID of your Saorview Connect device. However, a mathematical algorithm called a one-way hash is applied to the Device ID which means it will be infeasible to invert. Therefore, whilst the Saorview team can identify your usage data as all coming from one device there is no way that that data can be traced back to your individual Saorview Connect device, in a way that will identify you as an individual.
Further, usage data collected from all Saorview Connect devices will be aggregated together and analysed so that we can learn how people navigate around the screen and use the features of Saorview Connect. We may use that data to try to enhance your user experience and identify which of our offerings are most popular. This information is not used to develop a personal profile of you or any particular individuals and the log files are regularly deleted.
Once you have set up your Saorview Connect device, you can check your Device ID by selecting ‘Settings’ from the menu and then ‘System information’ and then ‘General info’.
If you change your mind about providing usage data you can change your preference at any time by selecting ‘Settings’ from the menu and then System settings, and then ‘Usage data’ and select Opt-Out.
RTÉ may use your personal data for a number of purposes including the following:
– for "service administration purposes",
which means that RTÉ may contact you for reasons related to the
service you have signed up for, as set out in paragraph 4 below
(e.g., to provide you with password reminders or to notify you
that a particular service has been suspended for maintenance).
Such processing is necessary for the provision of the service to
which the user has signed up and to support performance of RTÉ’s
statutory function in managing the delivery of its services; and
as necessary for the contractual performance of contract between
RTÉ and the user;
– to contact you about a submission you have made to the Saorview Services as necessary in connection with the provision of the service or based on your consent;
– if you have registered with Saorview ID, to personalise the way content is presented to you in order to reflect your requests in accordance. RTÉ has a statutory function under the Broadcasting Act to exploit commercial opportunities arising out of statutory obligations in providing tailored content;
– IP addresses are used to identify the number of visits from different countries and also to block disruptive use of the Saorview Services as necessary in connection with the provision of the service; and
– to analyse and improve the services offered on the Saorview Services as necessary in connection with the provision of the service and RTÉ’s statutory function in managing the delivery of its services.
On the basis that the Internet is a global environment, using the Internet to collect and process personal data can involve the transmission of information across international boundaries. Therefore, by using the Saorview Services and submitting personal data to us, you acknowledge our processing of your personal data on this basis.
RTÉ may contact you:
– in relation to the functioning of any
service you have signed up for in order to ensure that RTÉ can
deliver the services to you as necessary for the provision of
– where you have opted to receive further correspondence from tine time;
– to invite you to participate in surveys about Saorview Services (participation is always voluntary) in connection with RTÉ’s statutory function in managing the delivery of its services;
– for marketing purposes where you have specifically provided your consent to this (see "Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?" below).
RTÉ will not contact you for marketing purposes, or promote new services to you unless you specifically consent to be contacted for these purposes. If you agree to be contacted for these purposes, you have a right to withdraw your consent at any time and will be given the opportunity to unsubscribe each time you receive an email from Saorview.
RTÉ will keep your information confidential except where disclosure is required or permitted by law (e.g., to government bodies and law enforcement agencies). Generally, we will only use your personal data within RTÉ. However, sometimes RTÉ uses third parties to process your personal data. RTÉ currently uses the following Partners:
– A R I Services Europe Ltd, for the
provision of the Saorview Contact Centre, where customer queries
are dealt with by phone, email and Live Help via links provided
within the Saorview website;
– Freesat, for the platform management of Saorview Connect, provider of both the Saorview Mobile Application and the Saorview ID service;
– Silverpop, for email marketing communications (only applies if you have signed up to Saorview ID);
– Janrain, for the provision of the Saorview ID service (only applies if you have signed up to Saorview ID);
– Google Analytics, for the analysis of use and traffic of the Saorview Services using IP addresses.
Service providers are under an obligation to keep personal data for the purpose for which it was intended and not to pass on any personal data to third parties. In such cases these third parties will be required by RTÉ or RTÉ’s Partners to hold the personal data securely and only to process the information according to RTÉ’s instructions and based on a written agreement with RTÉ.
If you are aged 16 or under, please get your parent / guardian's permission beforehand whenever you provide personal data to Saorview. RTÉ does not allow minors to provide us with personal data without a parent / guardian's consent in accordance with Data Protection Laws.
RTÉ will hold your personal data on its systems as detailed below:
– Saorview ID users: in the case that you wish to cancel your
Saorview ID registration, once an account is deleted, while the
personal data cannot be used, it stays on the system for a
period of 480 days for administration purposes before being
– Saorview Connect device users: if you have consented to submit usage data, any personal data submitted will be destroyed once the one-way hash has been applied.
– Signing up for a Saorview ID on a Saorview Connect device: your email address will be used to enable you to complete registration for this service. Once Saorview has sent you the email to enable you to complete registration your email address will be destroyed.
– IP address data from Saorview website and Saorview Mobile Application: personal data submitted will be destroyed on a regular basis.
You have certain rights in respect of your personal data under Data Protection Laws. For further information on these rights and how to exercise them please refer to the Data Subject Rights Guide
This Statement may be updated from time to time so you may wish to check it each time you submit personal data to the Saorview Site.
Revised: 25 May 2018
Shops across Ireland have fantastic Saorview Approved products in store and online. Check out our retailers.